Hotel Café, Hollywood’s Launching Pad
July 1, 2014
Anyone who’s serious about music knows that there’s really only one place in Hollywood to catch great live music by up-and-coming performers on a nightly basis. Located off an alley on the busy Cahuenga Boulevard strip, Hotel Café is a small, unobtrusive-looking venue that has become known for launching the careers of some of the biggest singer/songwriter talents in the business today.
Since its opening in 2000, Hotel Café, owned by Maximillian Mamikunian and Marko Shafer, has played host to an amazing array of household names before they hit it big. Many Hotel Café regulars went on to become Grammy Award-winning and nominated artists. Examples include:
- Katy Perry played many acoustic shows at the Café in her early career, and participated in a variety of special events Hotel Café hosted throughout the U.S.
- Sara Bareilles was a Hotel Café regular for quite some time. Katy Perry actually tweeted congrats to Sara on being nominated for a Grammy in 2013 saying, “@SaraBareilles congrats lady! Who woulda thought hotel cafe would produce 2 little Grammy nomers.”
- Adele played her first few Los Angeles shows at the Café as part of her early U.S. tours.
- The Lumineers played their first L.A. show at the Café and several others until their career exploded.
- Mumford & Sons did their first U.S. tour and L.A. show at Hotel Café.
- Bruno Mars played several early shows there.
- Ed Sheeran also played shows at the Café when he first landed in Los Angeles.
Hotel Café’s keen eye for spotting talent has made them one of the best known brands in the U.S. and indeed, in the world. They have extended the brand by hosting four national tour and two international tours in the last decade. They have also had a showcase at the South By Southwest Music Festival or more than 10 years, featuring 30-40 bands each year. They are proud of the fact that they are the only entity that has had three official showcases each year at SXSW.
So if you’re a music lover, and want to discover the next big talent, become a regular at Hotel Café. Check out their latest lineup at www.hotelcafe.com, The Hotel Café on Facebook, or @the hotelcafe on Twitter.
Hotel Café: 1623 N Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028, (323) 461-2040.